Happy New Year! It’s resolution time and some of you might be wishing for better health this year. Read below for my top 5 list of healthy changes you can make that will have a big impact on your health.
- Quit Smoking. You will immediately reduce your risk for heart attack, stroke and lung disease. Your lungs will begin to heal the damage caused by smoking and you’ll be less vulnerable to viral and bacterial lung infections.
- Quit Drinking Soda. Sodas contain ridiculous amounts of sugar and high fructose corn syrup which means they are a significant source of empty calories. Not to mention they are often highly acidic, causing damage to your digestive tract. Replace with water or, if you must, sparkling water and a dash of unsweetened fruit juice, time to get a single serve blender.
- Move Your Body. Slowly and steadily increase the amount of aerobic exercise each week to improve lung capacity, heart rate, blood pressure, immune response, digestion, sleep, mood and even your sex drive! Not sure where to start? How about these suggestions for winter exercise: snowshoe or cross-country ski with friends on the weekends or start swimming at your local pool.
- Eat More Whole Foods. Start filling your grocery carts with foods at the periphery of the store – fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, whole grains (often found in bulk). The foods in the middle of the store tend to be highly processed, making them higher in fat, sugar/high fructose corn syrup and salt. Whole foods have everything you need in a completely natural, unprocessed package.
- Chill Out. Don’t underestimate the impact of deep relaxation on your body and mind. Like exercise, regular meditation, yoga, prayer, relaxation, visualization or self-hypnosis can improve digestion, sleep and mood. It matters less how you relax and more that you make time for this crucial element of health in your life.
Most of these changes will take commitment and willpower, some are targeting for your lower back pain treatment , some of them will take asking others for support and help, but any or all are guaranteed to lead to a healthier you in the months to come. How can acupuncture help? Acupuncture treatments can help you quit smoking, help reduce anxiety or depression that may block you from making changes, help reduce joint and body pain so you can get moving again and help improve digestion so that you can get the most out of all those yummy whole foods you’ll be eating.
Ready to get started? Click here if you’d like to make an appointment online or call us at 924-6624.